My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, December 8, 2008

Super-Fun-Adventure Day

The other day my friend Emma and I decided to go on an adventure. I suppose we were both feeling rather daring and in the mood for some good old-fashioned swash-buckling shenanigans. We went to the north end of Ocean Beach, where the crumbling ruins of the old Sutro Baths lay baking in the sun. There is a tunnel in the cliff, and many tourists go through it to see the sea-sprayed rocks on the other side. We walked barefoot through the tunnel, then stepped over the "For Your Own Safety, Do Not Go Past This Point" sign. It was so satisfying to scramble over the boulders like wild children while the tourists in in high-heeled shoes watched us with envy. Within minutes, they were out of sight. We climbed and leapt on the rocks into the late afternoon. Then we stopped to rest on a cliff the jutted out over the Pacific Ocean. When I peeked precariously over the edge, I saw a rock below completely encrusted with mussels. The low tide had exposed them to the air, where they waited patiently for the water's return. We almost made it to China Beach, a small and secluded cove, but it was getting late so we turned around and climbed back to the tunnel. Back on the beach, we watched the sun dip down toward the horizon, bathing the world in its magnificent pink light. I hadn't watched a sunset in forever. It was supremely beautiful; I should try to watch them more often.

No comments: