My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, December 13, 2008

His Dark Materials

If you have never read Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy, you are seriously missing out. Yesterday I picked up my battered copy of The Golden Compass, which had been hiding on my shelf for a few years with The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. Holy shit, I had forgotten how much I loved these books. They are part science fiction, part fantasy, part philosophy, part mystery, and 110% wickedly awesome.

The series follows Lyra Belacqua, and later her companion Will Parry, through magical worlds united by Dust - extraordinary particles with profound properties and the ability to connect whole universes. Imagine an adventure involving armored talking bears, gyptians, witches, prophecies, angels, soul-eating Specters, dragonfly riders, war, and love.

Powerful, enchanting, well-written, gripping, beautiful, you name it. These books are dynamite. So get your ass off the computer and go read them. You won't regret it. If, for some reason, you do regret it, you ought to go play in traffic.

3 comments:

thumbsUpsmile said...

Oh wow! Now that you mention it, those books WERE the shit!

I haven't read the series since 6th grade so I'll have to go pick it up somewhere.

Have you read Sophie's World?

Robot Nine said...

Thanks for the kind words on Robot Nine. In return, your blog has great music choices, something I do not say lightly, the robot on the side is, of course, awesome, and a quote by Poe. My favorite ppoem is Annabell Lee. Cool.

Robot Nine said...

By the way, your post gave me an idea for a future post- Surgeries Gone Bad. I heard about a guy that went in for like a wart removed or something and woke up, well, less a man than before, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the inspiration. Alan