My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, November 14, 2008

Crucible Chaos

I realized that I never announced the outcome of the whole fall play audition business. To recap, so that you don't have to go searching through earlier posts, we were performing The Crucible, and I was absolutely dying to play Mary Warren. But... I didn't get it. Such is life. I ended up in the "Salem Choir" singing creepy Puritan songs instead. I'm not complaining, though. Some of my friends were cast as named parts, then later discovered that their characters did not even exist. Ms. Bookwalter made up a bunch of names for the Salem girls (to make them feel special, I guess). So it was all good. As they say, "there are no such things as small roles, only small actors." I try to keep that in mind.

Anyway, after many sleepless nights involving the juggling of rehearsal and mountains of homework, the play opened yesterday. It was probably a good idea to have opening night on a Thursday, because not very many people came. Which was fine by me, because it was not our best performance. Their was a general monotony in the air, and some of the cues were sluggish, and part of the set fell down. I mean, what kind of shit idea was it to make the set out of styrofoam and prop it up against wooden posts?! The new tech guy sort of sucks.

But today, we had a full house. It was great! There's something about the presence of an audience that electrifies a cast. There's also some added pressure, because there were more people to witness out potential failure. Except there was no failure. The play was crisp and clean, and the set stayed in place. The choir (if I may say so myself) was at its spooky best. My only complaint of the night was that the audience, although large and enthusiastic, was extremely giggle-y. And Crucible is not a funny play. In case you aren't familiar with this play by Arthur Miller, it is a serious and tragic drama set during the hysteria of the Salem witch trials. It is a somber portrait of fear and how our actions are affected by it. There are accusations, crazy breakdowns, deranged young women, injustices, and nooses. I don't really find the whole idea of people being hanged for witchcraft to be very humorous. I guess the audience did...

No comments: