My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Kind of Important Announcement

I'm going vegan.

To make a long story short, I was writing an essay for English on factory farming and I did some research... it was repulsive. I really have no desire to eat dairy or eggs any more.

I've been wanting to make the leap from vegetarian to vegan for a while, but I didn't think I could survive without cheese. Then I found out about rennet, and I felt like throwing up. So I think I'm ready to go cheese-free.

I'm still going to eat honey, though. At least for now. Bees aren't factory farmed like cows and chickens, as far as I know. Well, if they are let me know and I'll stop eating honey immediately.

Anyhoo, I would greatly appreciate your moral support while I attempt this dietary experiment.

3 comments:

Adam James Nall said...

How interesting, I've just been researching 'rennet' for my next article (which should go up tomorrow). It's going to be on the cultural/linguistic origins of cheese (amoungst other things). Good luck with the veganism and thanks very much for following De Factoids!

Yours,

AJN
http://adamjamesnall.blogspot.com/

p.s. I belive it is possible to get non-animal sourced rennet substitute, so I assume there is a cheese out there which caters to that need. A

nonsocialmoth said...

You GO Girl! I just became a pesco myself.
good luck with the vegan thing.
also thanks for being my first follower!

Zoe said...

Thanks, guys.

Adam: I went on a vegan shopping spree today and bought soy cheese. It's completely rennet-free, but I'm pretty nervous about eating it. I hear it tastes funky. Also, I read your cheese post and found it very funny. Are you a Wallace and Gromit fan? The whole cheese-and-crackers thing reminded me of W&G.

nonsocialmoth: Yay pescos!! That was me about a year ago...

Much love,
Zoe