My Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, August 4, 2008

Drained, Literally

Today I decided to overcome my slight fear of needles and various other sharp, pokey things and give blood for the first time.

The Blood Centers of the Pacific 10 Reasons to Donate Blood:
  • Blood transfusions save lives.
  • There's no substitute for human blood.
  • Every three seconds, someone needs a blood transfusion.
  • About 60 percent of the population are eligible to donate blood, yet less than five percent do.
  • A pint of blood, separated in to components, can help up to three people.
  • You'll make your community a safer place.
  • Fulfills your desire to "give back" to the community.
  • You'll receive a mini physical (blood pressure, temperature, iron level).
  • You'll learn your blood type.
  • It's safe, simple and it saves lives.
Ironically enough, the part I was most nervous about was the blood-testing part, where they prick your finger and drip your blood in a copper sulfate solution to test your iron content. The idea of someone stabbing a needle into my finger just makes me cringe. It was alright, though. The cool part was after they jabbed the thing in my arm and the blood started flowing. It sounds repulsive, I know, but it was genuinely awesome to see my blood pour into the little bag. And after it's all finished, they give you donuts and juice and various other goodies to help you recuperate.

The best part is, they give you a coupon for one pint of Baskin Robbins ice cream in return for your one pint of donated blood. Delicious.

1 comment:

maya said...

Hello there,

Thanx for the nice words! Creating a blogging network creates a support group for each other. keep posting
cheers